Fifteen years ago I found a dinosaur egg. At least I thought I had. Everyone thought it was cool looking but no one rushed me to the Smithsonian or anything so I put it on my shelf. It came in handy quite a few times to hammer a nail in here or there. I figured it was okay. No one would ever know that I used my dinosaur egg as a hammer.
Before the age of the internet it was really hard to know if your dinosaur egg was real or if it was just a dumb old rock.
So the dinosaur egg sat in my collection of cool stuff for years and years. Yesterday I came across this specimen again and decided to inquire once and for all of its authenticity.
In the age of the internet it is really easy to find out if your cool looking rock is a dinosaur egg or not.
Turns out that it's not a cool dinosaur egg at all but a dumb old rock. A concretion to be exact. Which is nothing cool at all. Concretions are really boring and are pretty much just dumb rocks. How sad.
Good thing though because this morning I let Ezra see my dinosaur egg and he thought it looked like a fun thing to shoot hoops with. After a couple of shots my egg, excuse me, concretion, looked like this:
So I'm not sure the point of this story except that I thought it must be told.
Rest in peace concretion.
4 comments:
Well, there goes our retirement.
I thought we were going to start a bidding war between the Smithsonian, Children's Museum, and Dinosaur restaurants in Vernal, Utah. Oh well.
You should have tried to sell it on eBay before you let Ezra get to it, you could have made bank! No one would have know it wasn't actually a dinosaur egg...
What's with all the childhood memorabilia anyway?
Just cleaning out the closets. I have a goal to NOT do this a week before our upcoming move.
Maybe I should super glue the thing back together and see if I can get any takers, eh??
Hey guys, sorry to break the news... I have a friend in the Paleontology department, and that was, in fact, a dinosaur egg.
Post a Comment