For those of you who need a preface to this post, Christina was brave enough to take Ezra and Annika on a flight to visit her parents in Lovell. She went to help them prepare to move and to have somewhere fun to stay while I went to brighten young minds in Connecticut. What follows is 5 of the thousands of reasons I find myself missing them terribly.
2. There's no laughter in this house. And no crying either. If you are reading this, you've probably remarked to yourself on several occasions, "Christina is the funniest person I've ever met." Which you've no doubt followed with, "And those kids, they are a riot!" I know I think this about 25 times per day. I miss Tina's dry wit and I especially miss the way she makes herself laugh. Hysterically. That's the mark of someone truly funny--nobody can make them laugh harder than themselves. I feel like my day is missing some kind of hilarious running commentary, then I realize that I'm going through it without Christina. And I really miss watching Ezra laugh, which then makes Annika laugh as well. I even miss the crying! Now all I hear is air conditioner and various rumblings in Spanish/Chinese/Polish from our three neighbors.
3. Kisses. I really miss those. From Christina's good morning kiss to Ezra's "if I kiss you will you take me to the playground?" kiss to Annika's attempt to suck your nose clean off of your face, those kisses can't be beat.
4. Bragging about my pseudo-accomplishments in political science. I still give myself the pep talk about 10 times per day ("You're the best! You can do it! Sure, somebody will read this sometime! No, it's not a waste of 6 years of your life! Hey, what you're doing is as important as helping people! In fact, you are helping people--helping them see a slightly different side of a 19th century American recluse using verbose jargon that only a specialist can understand! Ha, take that, brain surgeon!) but there's nobody around to support me while her eyes slowly glaze over as I go into minute detail about my "project." Seriously, though, it's not just talking about school, but about everything. I really miss talking face to face. There's really so much that goes into conversation that we can't get without physically being near each other. Telephones are nice, but they're a little empty if you're used to talking to your lovely wife whenever you please.
5. Being a (big) part of their life, and vice versa. Being away from Christina and the kids makes me realize how absolutely great it is to be a big part of their lives and to have them as the biggest part of my life. It really stinks not to see Ezra playing with his cousin or Annika laughing at Grandma's dog or Christina taking photos or reading a book or cooking dinner. That's probably the hardest.
They've been gone three days, so it comforts me to know that there are only about 30 days left until I see them. Ugh. Missing them has left me looking like this (let me warn you: I took this picture after 3 days of missing my family. I have been unable to shower or shave and have picked up a bad habit or two in the hopes of staving off the ennui):

8 comments:
We miss you terribly too!! Very hilarious post. I hope we recognize you when we see you again! LOve you tons! P.S. You really should go make some friends!! Just kidding!!
That WAS hilarious. And so sweet. But I'm not sure I believe you on the #1 item...it's hard for me anyway to appreciate my kids in the wee hours of the night and morning. :)
And actually, that's a pretty good look for you. It just screams Scholarly.
I laughed like crazy reading this. But I really worry what you are going to be like after 30 more days! Could be really scary. I love you for loving my daughter and children so much. Thanks for being such a great son-in-law!
Hey Jonny, you are starting to look like some of your relatives in Oklahoma. [ha ha ha]. We miss you too, wish you could have come out with Christina and the kids. It's been almost a year since we seen you last. Hopefully we will get to come out soon. Have a good time at Yale, We love you and miss you.
Mom and Dad
Jon--thanks for a hearty laugh!
Pretty funny and sooo sweet!!! I'm waiting for Christina's blog from Wyoming.
We miss them too :-(
Don't worry the time will go by fast while your teaching and studying.
I bet it was hard for you to find the time to write this up, but I'm glad you did. Its nice to actually see in writing how and why a husband and father misses his family--very sweet, and from you I know its sincere. Hope you enjoy your time in CT, I'll miss seeing you out with the kids. Of course I'll miss Christina more, but you'll be missed by your neighbors as well. Good luck!
Post a Comment