Today I had planned on writing about how I taught Ezra to play volleyball and how much he loved it and how cute it was to see him "bump" the ball all around. He is good at it too. That did make me very happy...but tonight after I saw on Kayli's blog (your making quite the appearance on here lately Kate!) a recipe for Lemon Coconut Quick Bread I had to make some post haste. And oh my goodness was it tasty! It was definitely the highlight of happiness today. Especially since I haven't seen the sun since Friday and that is getting me down! But anyway, here's the recipe if you are interested. It's easy to make and so so yummy! I would take a picture but it's late and I'm tired so I'm not going to.
Lemon Coconut Quick Bread
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it's fresh!)
½ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups granulated sugar
2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
2 eggs
¾ cup milk
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon lemon zest (or more if you want a bigger kick of lemon)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup (1 stick or ¼ pound) butter, melted
1. Heat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8x4 inch or 9x5 inch loaf pan. (I love my Chicago Metallic commercial loaf pans for baking both quick breads and sandwich loaves like Farmhouse White.)
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt using a rubber spatula, then stir in the sugar and coconut.
3. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture, stirring just until combined.
5. Add the melted butter and stir just until smooth. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out clean. Ovens vary, so start checking for doneness after about 60 minutes (55 if you're using a 9x5 inch pan).
7. Let the bread cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes and then carefully remove it from the pan. Try not to slice into the loaf until it's completely cool, but that probably won't be possible. Store in an airtight container for 3 days or wrap in plastic and/or aluminum foil, pop in a plastic zipper bag, and freeze.
2 comments:
YES!! My goal in life is to make appearances on your blog!!! ;)
It's funny to me that you made this bread because in my head, you must have made it in the middle of the night, since I posted about it before I went to bed, and now in the morning, you've made it. That 8-hour time difference is a wacky thing. I'm glad you liked the bread-- Hazel didn't, but the other kids did. I thought it was pretty good, but not sensational. Maybe I'll try it for breakfast, when I'm not half full from dinner, and it might be even better.
I do like making things with lemon, because the lemon smells so good when you zest it. I had all the kids come smell it and I said, "It smells so fresh and summery!" and Hazel was like, "eww." So, lemon can definitely be a pick-me-up when it's gray and cold.
Good job teaching Ezra to play volleyball!!!! I will have to teach my kids too, and then we can organize a competition. Awesome.
Ha ha, yes maybe you will be a regular Kayli. Jonathan thought it was odd that I called you Kate, I thought it was clever. Oh, and the kids both hated the bread after one bite. At first I was shocked and then thought "oh well, more for me." Let's plan on a volleyball scrimmage sometime!
Post a Comment