Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thoreau for kids



We went to the library today for lapsit (stories and songs for kids) and also checked out more books while we were there. I (Jonathan) want to tell you about them because I think they're the best kids books ever. 
The series is by DB Johnson, and they all have to do with Henry David Thoreau. For those whose memory of Thoreau is hazy, he is perhaps America's greatest literary figure and also the subject of my dissertation. These books take real stories from Thoreau's life and work and tell them in a way interesting to kids. Also, the illustrations are unbelievable. We read three of them together tonight. For me, it's a great way to communicate some of what I do and what I love to study to the kids. And the books are more accurate and faithful to Thoreau's work than most of the academic studies I read...I can't recommend them highly enough. They're great books, even if you don't love Thoreau!
Also, Christina got an ipod shuffle for her birthday from Mom and Dad McKenzie. She's really excited about it and so is Ezra (as you can see from the photo). Christina put a few songs on it and let Ezra listen. When he put the earphones in and Christina turned it on, he said, "Mom, is this the Weakerthans?" The kid knows good music when he hears it...

5 comments:

Alice Childs said...

These books sound great--I'll have to take a look at them. Also, Madison couldn't believe that even Ezra has an ipod and she doesn't! Imagine her relief when I told her it was actually Christina's:)

Amanda said...

I can't wait to check out those books--thanks for the recommendations! I, too, love my Shuffle, but I love your red one even more! (Mine's silver.) That picture of Ezra is so cute! It's a little scary how quickly they pick up on your music. Evan knows how to sing Amy Winehouse's "Rehab." Yeah, scary!

Christina said...

Alice- That's really hilarious!!

Mandy- What are you teaching that kid! Just kidding!

Anonymous said...

Christina- This blog is great! Your kids are sooo cute!

Christina said...

Thanks Lisa, I'm so glad that you check it out! Write me an email sometime!