Sunday, March 30, 2008

Anika's eventful night

Last night Anika had to go to the ER. Don't worry, she's fine, but it was a scary time for us. She was up in the middle of the night screaming and crying inconsolably. We finally called a nurse and they said just take her the the Emergency Room. Jon took her about 4:00 in the morning while I stayed here with Ezra. The doctor there thought she was really gassy and that was why she was crying. Jon felt really embarrassed that he took Anika to the ER for gas, but the doctor reassured him that he would have done the same thing and he's a doctor. It is really frightening when your kids are sick in the middle of the night and I am so grateful that there is always somewhere that we can go for help! Lesson learned from this experience: Keep gas drops on hand!! Poor baby girl!
So while we are on the subject of Anika, I was thinking about this conversation that Jon and I had the other day. We were discussing the upcoming telephone use of our daughter and Jon was groaning about the thought of her spending all day on the phone with her friends talking about boys. So he came up with the idea that we would implement a rule in our house that Anika cannot talk about boys during a phone call until her and her friends discuss and solve three world problems. Then they can discuss boys. Then he said "Also, when a boy comes over to take her on a date, he has to discuss with me a solution to one major world issue." So I told him "Well, that won't work because the kid will say: Well, I read your dissertation and you say that it doesn't matter what I do, nothing will ever change." (Ask Jon for more information about that.) Then Jon got this look on his face of pure joy and said "Then I'll tell him, Stop, you had me at 'I read your dissertation...'" So I guess now we know what it takes to win Anika's father's heart. I hope her future boyfriend/husband is smart enough to figure that out!

5 comments:

Kayli said...

HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!!!!! That was HILARIOUS. Soooo the funniest post ever. Very good times.

Gigi said...

I wish Craig and I were witty enough to have come up with something like that for when Bergen starts dating! Can we use it too (even thought there is no dissertation here)?


BTW I'm glad Anika is alright.

Amanda said...

I'm still laughing ... poor Anika may be a single gal the rest of her life! :)

Sarah Iddings said...

LOL....that's too funny...I will make sure to tell Dylan the secret and have him prepared and ready to discuss John dissertation.

Casey Childs said...

You had me at dissertation....I literally laughed out loud at my cubicle when I read that! Funny stuff.